Culswick by Melissa Wehrle
Designed for transitional weather, Culswick is a relaxed and oversized piece that is uncomplicated in shape yet polished and well-crafted in fit and detail. Its allover lace patterning brings to mind intricate latticework, with a subtle transparency that invites soft layering and breezy wearing. Worked in fine-gauge Peerie, Culswick is light as a cloud and drapes like a dream, while remaining substantial enough to weather gracefully with time.
The body is worked circularly from the bottom up to the underarms, then divided to work the back and front separately. The sleeves are worked circularly to the armholes and the neckband is picked up and worked after garment assembly. The allover lace motif is worked from charts only.
- 7 (7, 8, 8, 9, 10) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Peerie (100% American Merino wool; 210 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Hammock
- 1350 (1440, 1515, 1660, 1825, 2020) yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- 24 stitches & 29 rows = 4″ in chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Note: Gauge for this project changes considerably after blocking; block your swatch prior to measuring to ensure correct sizing.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 24″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, five sizes smaller than size A
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g. Sleeves).
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 36 (38, 40, 44, 48, 52)” [91.5 (96.5, 101.5, 112, 122, 132) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 4″ [10 cm]
- Sample shown is size 38″ [96.5 cm] with 6″ [15 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off
- 4 out of 5